Week 2: Formal Letter

Subject: Self-Introduction to Professor Brad Blackstone

Dear Professor Blackstone,

My name is Yan Ning, and my purpose for writing this letter today is to introduce myself to you. In 2021, I graduated from Nanyang Polytechnic (NYP) with a diploma in biomedical engineering. During my time at NYP, I remember myself taking a liking to modules that allowed me to develop and create products to aid vulnerable people in our society. As the saying goes, "If you do what you love, you'll never work a day in your life." I wanted to get a job that I would enjoy doing. Upon researching further, the career that matches my interests and passion while having the ability to give back to society was a research and development engineer. Since it was advisable to have a degree in mechanical engineering, I decided to further my education with Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT).

As no two humans are alike, I would say that my interest in computer gaming and crocheting is what makes me unique. Engaging in my hobbies helps me prevent social exhaustion while restoring my energy after a long day of school or work. My hobbies not only calm me down, but they also bring joy to my simple life.

With regards to my communication weaknesses, I am afraid of public speaking. I feel very uncomfortable speaking to a large crowd. I will be so nervous that my hands will start to tremble. Furthermore, I find it hard to maintain eye contact with the audience, and my voice will turn shaky. As for my communication strength, I can empathize with the emotions of others. As I put myself in their shoes or try to view it in their point of view, I can understand where they are coming from.

In these 13 weeks of effective communication, I hope that I will be able to grasp a better understanding of the English language and learn ways to improve my public speaking skills, especially with how to combat feeling nervous in front of an audience.

Thank you for taking the time to read my letter. I hope that through this letter, you managed to get to know me better.

Regards,

Yan Ning


Reviewed: Regine, Irdina & Valerie

Post edited: 8 Feb 2022

Comments

  1. Hello Yan Ning,

    I really enjoyed reading your letter and learning more about you. Your letter covers all the main points, and your sentences are fluent. The paragraphs are also very well organised. Although, I believe you can expand on your strength and weakness in communication by including examples.

    We have similar weaknesses in communication, and I hope we can achieve our goals in improving public speaking skills with this module. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Rayner! Thank you for your feedback, I hope we can both achieve our goals!
      Lets work hard! ◉‿◉

      Delete
  2. Hi Yan Ning, thank you for your letter! Your letter is clear and I could understand it without any trouble. Regarding your communication weaknesses, I believe that you will improve as long as you get more exposure and practice in this class.
    I have noticed a small preposition error in paragraph 3. From paragraph 3, "view it in their point of view" should be "view it from their point of view".
    I am glad to know you better from your letter and let's work hard together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Regine! Thank your for your feedback, I will amend accordingly.
      Lets work hard together ! ٩(。•́‿•̀。)۶

      Delete
  3. Hello Yan Ning, thank you for taking time to write this letter. Your letter has covered the key points and the linking between points are very well written. A possible improvement that you could make in your letter would be writing how the interests/hobbies you mentioned in paragraph 2 are related to your communication weaknesses/strengths or interest in mechanical engineering. Another improvement might be to give examples of scenarios that alerted you of your communication weakness or strengths. Overall, it was a well written letter and has helped me to know you a little more. See you in class!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello David! Thank you for your feedback, i will try to input those suggestions into my letter. ◉‿◉

      Delete
  4. Dear Yan Ning,

    Thank you for this clear, concise and informative letter. You do a fine job covering the scope of the assignment as you detail your educational background, connecting your career choice to your interests in giving back to society. How admirable!

    You also aptly discuss your communication skills. Clearly, empathy is a trait that the world as a whole needs more of, so both your character and your engineering skills will be in high demand. In terms of speaking, I do hope to see you come out of your comfort zone more in our sessions. Even participating in the 'mini speaking' exercises can help you build confidence; taking off your hat at least occasionally might allow you to face the class 'head on' and establish greater eye contact with me and your peers. :)

    This letter is also a fluent reflection that flows well. I only found one verb issue that was problematic:
    -- I remember myself taking a liking to modules that allow me to develop... > (tense consistency)
    I remember myself taking a liking to modules that allowed me to develop...

    I look forward to learning more about you this term and to seeing your comm skills blossom.

    Best wishes,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Professor Blackstone,

      Thank you for taking the time to provide me with feedback! I will make the required changes to the issue.

      Best regards,
      Yan Ning

      Delete
  5. Hi Yanning, I enjoyed reading your post. I personally feel that the writer herself is a positive and vibration person despite facing challenges. I believe that your tenses can be improved. Those feelings you had should be past tense since it had occured. Keep up the positive tone when writing. It makes you unique!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Irdina! Thank you for your feedback, I will make the amendment accordingly. ◉‿◉

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 13: Critical Reflection

Task 3: The Importance of communication skills for engineers